Last December, The Dodo released an article about a grandpa took his dog to the furniture store, so she can pick whatever she likes. The story gained much attention from many people around the world especially the pet-lovers community. The Dodo also attached a video showing the old man and his dog shopping for new furniture since they just moved into a new house. It is a cute video, probably why it attracts many people. His dog, Coco followed him around in the furniture store in their areas and would try to sit on the furniture like lounge chairs with Grandpa. Grandpa preferably chooses the lounge chair’s footrest that long enough to fit Coco so it can sit beside him. Thankfully, they eventually found an ideal fit for them both from the furniture store.
So why are we talking about this article? Well, we noticed that some of our customers are always asking us if our furniture is pet-friendly or not, whether the fabric is washable or not since they own indoor pets. If you have indoor pets, you’ll always have to deal with pet hairs and scratches on the furniture. When you are shopping for nice home family furniture for your house and you own a pet, you better search for these five pet-friendly fabrics. Keep in mind that chenille, velvet, silk, and tweed are all fabrics you should AVOID when shopping for pet-friendly furniture.
So, what are the five things you need to look for?
- Outdoor Fabrics
Hands down, for pet owners, leather is one of the best sofa furniture coverings. Indeed with age and heavy use this long-lasting natural material actually improves. Leather is easy to keep, comes in many colors and is available at various price points.Many cool furniture designs are made of leather. Above all, leather could stand up to pets.[Product in the picture CATE 1 & 3 Seater]
- Makes a good choice for people with pets because fur and hair won’t stick to it. You can simply vacuum or dust it away.
- However, leather does scratch. So if you own a cat, it’s better for you to trim their nails first as sharp claws can actually puncture the leather, leaving small holes.
A synthetic fabric, provides another great choice for pet owners. It looks a bit like suede, is simple to clean and maintain, and wears well. Some designs are also similar with high-end contemporary furniture design.
- It doesn’t rip or scratch easily. Microfibre is virtually resistant to claw marks, as claws do not catch on the weave.
- Animal hair goes practically unnoticed, which is great if your pet is a long-haired breed.
- Can quickly remove accumulated hair with a lint brush or even just by wiping it with your hands.
- Most stains come out of microfibre with mild soap and water.
- Rugged, durable and easy-to-clean denim furniture makes a good choice in casual rooms.
- You can spot clean denim with mild soap and water or a baking soda paste.
- The tight weave of the fabric makes it easy to vacuum off any stray pet hair.
- Canvas slipcovers make an especially good option in homes with pets.
- The durable cotton fabric doesn’t tear easily.
- You can simply remove the slipcover if it gets dirty and toss it in a washing machine.
- They are also fairly inexpensive so if your slipcover becomes ruined with claw marks or stains, replacement is much less of a financial hurdle.
- Outdoor fabrics treated with stain and odour resistant protect moisture and even fend off bacteria.
- You could bring outdoor furniture into the house, or make slip covers to cover pre-pet purchases.
So if you are shopping furniture online, keep in your mind about these five things. At Repro, we are trying to be more inclusive for both customers and their pets. You are also welcome to our showroom at SS2, Petaling Jaya. Don’t be shy to ask us if the furniture is pet-friendly or not. Our staff is happy to assist you. Contact us or leave us a message at 03-51224759.